Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Why Instinctive Parenting?

I've had several people ask me if "instinctive parenting" is an actual parenting style or if it's a term I made up. The answer- I don't know. But I decided to make that the title of this blog because I feel it is all encompassing.

We live in an era where there is a certain way or protocol for how we are supposed to parent. Each child and each infant is more like a check list than an individual. But in reality, each baby and human being has different needs and they grow, develop, and evolve at different levels.

The same goes for parents. There is no right or wrong way to parent your child. I believe that the majority of parents are just trying to get by and they are doing the best they can. We are all learning as we go, right? So what I hope to convey through this blog is the idea that we need to sometimes throw caution to the wind, say to hell with society, and do what feels natural and right to us. Let Mother Nature do her thing.

There is a common denominator that connects us all as a species, but sadly it is something that most of us never acknowledge. And this is it- human beings are in fact animals. And just like any animal, we have instincts. That carnal part of our brain is what helps us to know what is right, what is safe, what feels wrong, and what makes us comfortable. And it's when we forget that simple concept that we begin to lose confidence in ourselves and start turning to "society" for the answers.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love this definition of parenting!