Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Home Educating

I've been wondering what I could post about. There are a lot of posts on breastfeeding and baby stuff and I'm kind of out of that stage right now. My "baby" is 2 1/2 and I won't have another baby until October. I'm also in the stage of pregnancy when I feel "blah". I'm exhausted, nauseous and lacking motivation, so I haven't felt like the greatest mommy lately anyway.

We are a homeschooling family. This year and I am home schooling my 1st grader and preschooler. This is a big job for me. I home schooled my oldest son who is now almost 13, for K and 1st grade. I loved every minute of it. He is a quick learner and is a very mellow, obedient child. He was "easy" to teach. My 1st grader is just like me. Stubborn, independent and free spirited. He doesn't like authority at all! He is not so "easy" to teach! I've finally figured out a curriculum that is working for both him and I and it's getting better. Being able to stay home and teach my children is so rewarding. I love to see their eyes light up as they learn and master new things. I love to see them create new things and see their imaginations at work. I love to see the ties they build with each other. The connections that they have because they are all home together. I feel very blessed to be able to have my kids at home all the time.
BUT...I want to say this. I know that home schooling is not the best option for every family. I feel like we are ALL home schoolers to some extent. We all teach our children at home in some way, not always academically. I have a friend, whom I think is such a great mom. She does not home school and we have VERY different views and opinions on a lot of subjects. But she is so good to her kids. She makes a point to spend good, quality time with each of her children. She is very unselfish with her time. I see her spending her days doing art projects and reading and singing and playing games with her kids. You can just see how much she cares about them and that she really wants to teach them and help them grow. She is a great example to me as to what a nurturing mother should be. I really look up to her. So, I really believe that we are all "home schoolers" in one way or another. 
If you have thought about or are interested in home schooling, look into it. It's so great. I'd be happy to answer questions or point you in the direction of some good sites. There is so much great information out there. If you "feel" like home schooling is something you should do, then it probably is! :)

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Amber, thanks for sharing this! I also believe we are all "home schoolers" in our own way.

And I like how you pointed out that HS worked for one of your children but not another one. Yup, goes to show that we often times have to go back to the drawing board with each child. What worked for one, may not work for the others.

mandy_moo said...

I really want to home school my kids, for lots of different reasons, but I am having a hard time convincing my husband that it is the right thing for our family. Anyway, I do have a little time still as our baby is only 5 weeks old. :)

Brandi said...

Mandy, as long as my kids turn out "normal" maybe Mike will let you homeschool. =) I also agree with Amber that it isn't for everyone. There are some kids and parents that do better with outside teaching. We just all have to remind ourselves that we are all teachers and students. Life is all about learning and when you stop learning you stop growing. So, even if you send your kids off to school you can still sing with them, color together, read to them and do many wonderful and enriching activities with them. I will echo Amber and say if you feel like it's right for you it probably is. Give it a try you might like it!