Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cry it Out: You think I should do WHAT to my newborn baby?

I want to start this out by saying that I don't intend to cause problems with this post. But I am a little straight-forward in what I have to say about this. In some cases, "cry it out" can be helpful--in older children. But let me back up and start at the beginning...

A couple of days ago, I had posted on my Facebook profile my minor frustrations at not being able to shower because the baby woke up right before I was going to get in. Any time I post anything about what the baby is doing on Facebook, I get at least ten responses of un-solicited (and sometimes completely wacko) advice. So, as usual, I had a bunch of responses to my shower dilemma. And to my dismay, two people were encouraging me to let my three week old infant just sit and cry while I take a shower. Wow, seriously?! Sorry, but I don't care that much about my hygiene!! I absolutely cannot justify letting my child sit and cry just so I can smell a little less stinky!! An older child, sure. But here's my reasoning for not letting a tiny baby sit and cry: they are completely dependent upon their mothers for food, love, cleanliness, and all the things that babies need. They cry when they need something, and they need it now!! He's not saying, "oh, you can feed me when you get around to it, when it's convenient for you..." but "I'm hungry now, I need to eat now!" And he's not saying he wants a toy or a cookie or something completely unnecessary. A tiny baby's wants are the same as his needs.

So, no, I am not going to let my child sit and cry while I take a shower. Yes, I know moms need mommy time too, but that's what baby's nap time is for. I think when you become a mother you need to set aside your own wants, and even some of your needs, to take care of this little person who is completely dependent upon you to fill his needs and wants. It takes some sacrifice. That's what being a mom is all about.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I am totally applauding this post! Thank you!
"Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being" ~ Kittie Franz

Brandi said...

Well said Beth and Mandy. Newborn babies shouldn't be left to "cry it out" for extended lengths of time. Mandy, if you are looking for a way to get clean and keep the baby happy... you can take a bath with him. I did that with J for awhile and it worked great. I've also had my little guys in the shower too. It makes things a bit tricky but, I felt like you Mandy and didn't want my little guys to scream the whole time I was in the shower.

Veronica said...

Amen, Sista!!

mandy_moo said...

Brandi, I actually tried a bath with him that day, at someone else's suggestion. It was not way effective for getting clean, but it was relaxing and enjoyable for both of us... at least, until he pooped. LOL