Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Introduction and "My Style"

Hello all! My name is Amber and I am excited to be contributing to this blog. I have 4 children with #5 on the way. I started my mothering journey very early in life. I was a teen mom and was clueless. I've learned so much over the years and continue to learn and grow daily. It never ceases to amaze me how different and unique each of my children are. I believe that is how parenting is. I've been criticised many times for the choices I'm making in raising my children, and I'll be honest...I've looked at family and friends before and have silently criticised their parenting styles and choices. But I believe, when it comes down to it, we are all here, doing what we know, and trying our best to be the best parents we know how to be. It's my goal to be a better mother to my children everyday. To be more loving, to be more patient, to be more compassionate.
I am a home birthing mom, I'm passionate about breastfeeding, I love to co-sleep, wear my babies, I've tried my hand at cloth diapering (but it only lasted a few months :)), and I also home school my kids. I love having them with me and can't imagine sending my kids out the door everyday. Don't get me wrong, I need my time too, and take advatage of grandma when she wants the kids. It's nice to have some time away and recharge.
I really like Veronica's term "Instinctive Parenting". If I had to put a label on myself, that is probably what it would be. I do what I feel is right at the time and that may be slightly different in each and every circumstance. No two children are exactly the same and so therefore cannot be taught or parented the exact same way.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Welcome aboard Amber! Glad to have you here :)

Brandi said...

I'm excited to hear more from you Amber. My mom was also a teen parent and I love her dearly. The best thing growing up was how boys thought my mom was "hot". I'm proud to have her as my mom.

mandy_moo said...

Wow, Brandi... you mean our Mom was a MILF? hahaha... weird.